Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for March, 2014

I have just realised how long it is since my last post. I think I had better post some more work as the list of pieces to post is getting very long now.

As I have said before, I am really enjoying creating art quilts whether they be for my projects or from other design sources.

This selection comes under the ‘other design sources’.

Pink-magnolia

This was the design source for the next two art quilts.  It is an image of magnolia taken on a visit to ‘The Hutts’ in North Yorkshire. It is a beautiful sculpture garden.  I applied some special effects filters on the image in Photoshop. Two of them inspired and the following two art quilts were the result.

Magnolia---deep-pink---art-quilt

Magnolia---pale-pink---art-quilt

Some surface painting with metallic paints was applied after the stitching was complete.

The next small piece was just a sampler practicing a quilt pattern.  I used a piece of serendipity silk and metallic thread.

Serendipity-silk-square-quilt

The next piece was a rescue piece. I was printing out the design onto silk and had done something wong (can’t remember what now) so I aborted the print. Not wanting to waste the printed silk I made it into a small panel.

Kaleidoscope-panel-art-quilt

The next piece was another small sample print which I liked and made into a quilted panel. However, I later decided to make it into a small purse.

Small-quilted-purse                                             Small-quilted-purse-close-up

We regularly visit an old railway restoration yard which is a wonderful place for photography.  I took this image of some old wooden sleepers propped up against an old goods wagon.

Window1---peeling-paint---rust---wood

I enhanced the colours and duplicated the image several times, joining them together to make a long panorama art quilt.

Tanfield-sleepers-art-quiltAgain there is some highlighting with metallic paint.

I live fairly close to a river mouth and there is a culvert where local sea fishermen keep their boats.  We often go there for a photo shoot.  I quite liked one of the images of a single red and blue painted boat.  I played with it in Photoshop and created two art quilts, ons small and one larger.

Paddy's-hole-boat

Paddy's-hole-little-red-boat---large

The next piece took a long time – a lot of work.  I started with an image of some Hosta leaves taken in the gardens at Newby Hall.  Again, I played with the image in Photoshop and finished p with sixteen colour and stylised variations.

Hosta-leaves-1

Each one was stitched as a separate panel and the I joined all sixteen together to make one large art quilt.

Hosta-art-quiltSome of them were flipped to make it balance and I highlighted some of them with metallic paint. Here is a close up.

Hosta-art-quilt-close-up

I can’t find the original image for the net series. I will have it somewhere and will find it eventually.  It was an image of a wild geranium growing through some bean plant flowers in my garden. I played with it in Photoshop – as always – and the results led to a set of three panels each in a different colour palette.

Geranium--Red---art-quilt

Geranium---green---art-quilt

Geranium---Purple---art-quilt

I liked the red one so much that I selected and combined into a long panel.  They all had lots of surface painting after the stitching.

Geranium---long-red---pp-stitch

Here is a close up.

Geranium---long-red---art-quilt-close-up

That is all of them for this post.  I am on with my Paris project now which is growing by the week.  There should be lots to post later.

Until then, cheers everyone.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »