Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January, 2012

As I said in my last post, the Dubai project is finished with over 70 pieces of textile work.

All I have to do now is post the last remaining pieces.

One of the windows on a building along the Creek side has been the design source for a number of pieces.

I took this image into Paint shop Pro and applied a special effect which resulted in this :-

I pondered over this for a long time trying to think of a technique to use to interpret the image.  The one that kept coming to the fore was a sheer sandwich but finding a way to produce and keep the protruding window effect was the problem.  Eventually I resorted to a technique I used for some of my jewellery – see the link on the right – Embroidered Jewellery.  I used garden mesh.  The mesh was the structure inside the sheer sandwich.

I am not totally happy with it. I think I could have had more success if I had made the piece twice the size.  Even so – it is pretty.

Another multi used design is the wall fret panel.

I took one of these frets and made a fret using Funky foam.  I stuck it to some pelmet vilene and then applied layers of hmmm ‘toilet paper’ using PVA to cover and harden the surface and then a layer of scrunched tissue paper over the whole surface.  This was then painted and made into a keepsake folder.  I had just found some key and lock brads so I created a lock at the side of the fret making it look like a door. I cut off the prongs from the back of the key brad and filed the sharpness off and hung it from the lock.  I used more square brads for effect.  A machine wrapped cord was used to close.

The fret work on the front of the hotel has also been a well used design source and I used it again for some jewellery. I made lots of squares and laid one square over the other to make the star pattern on the fretwork.  I button-hole stitched all around the star and fastened a blue glass rectangle bead in the centre of each star.  They were then joined together to create a necklace, a bracelet and a pair of earrings – the findings yet to be applied.

The next piece was made up of three panels joined together into a hanging.  It was very much a ‘go with the flow’ piece.  I had no idea what would be on each panel until I began to play and try things.  I liked it when it was  finished. I was intending to blast the middle panel and burn away some of the top sheer but I chickened out especially after the disaster of the gold book which turned out even better as a result but I wasn’t prepared to risk it a second time so I played safe.

Talking of disasters.  This next piece was another failure which had to be rescued.  I really liked the colours created by a special effect on an image of the heritage village.

The first attempt to print this out onto transfer paper was a disaster but I managed to rescue it and turn it into a successful purse.  I tried again and this time I ironed it onto a light weight black lutrador so that I could quilt it.  Unfortunately the Lutrador is very ‘webby’ and so the colours did not emerge when ironing.  It lay around for a long time until I decided to attempt a rescue.  I painted the surface with acrylic wax and metallic paints then I stencilled and stamped some of the jug designs I had been using throughout the project. I used transfer foil to make a frame the made it up into a quilt sandwich and free machined it.  It worked.  Another rescue.

So there we have it the Dubai textile project is complete and has been boxed until such time as I am asked to give a talk about it.

I hope I have given some of you some ideas to take from this project and that you will try a technique you may not have tried before.  Remember, it is possible to rescue disasters – the beauty of textiling.

Cheers for now and until my next post.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »