Before I begin the new post I am posting the photo of the three finished mounted shadows I talked about in previous posts. I was struggling with how to present them but with the aid of Photoshop I was able to simulate a few ideas and so choose the one which suited the pieces best. I found some fabric which wasn’t quite the grey I was looking for – more a taupe grey – but it worked fine. I machined the text up the side of each piece which stated what the shadows were. I made stretcher frames and stretched the appliquéd pieces over the frames. This was all that was needed and here they are:-
Now I can begin to develop a series of pieces using a photograph I took looking up through the wrought iron dome of a pergola in the arboretum at Thorpe Perrow.
I put this image into Photoshop and first of all isolated the iron work so that I could overlay it onto any background.
Next I played with the sliders in the colour balance and with some other special filters creating possible textile pieces. Here is one of the images I liked.
I began interpreting this one by first painting silk.
The painted silk was then laid over wadding and backed with a stabiliser. I traced the pergola dome pattern onto soluble fabric and laid it over the silk. All the layers were then pinned together ready to stitch.
Then to my favourite part – free machining. I used a variegated metallic thread to machine the design onto the silk. When the stitching was complete the soluble fabric was removed and I couched a rainbow metallic twist thread along each of the straight radial lines.
This is as far as I have reached for the moment with this one. I do have plans for the next stage which involves some printing.
I began a second pergola piece. This was another special effect which I liked.
I loved the vibrant colours and saw immediately how I was going to create a piece from it. I painted a piece of white satin with silk paints then using a small sponge and black metallic acrylic paint I sponged the speckled effect over the piece.
Next I laid a piece of black nylon chiffon over the painted satin
Then I again traced the pergola design onto soluble fabric and laid this over the top. As with the former piece I laid this over wadding and a stabiliser and pinned it all together.
I found a lovely thick black metallic thread which I have had many many years and it was perfect for the job. I used a larger hole needle in the machine and machined the pergola dome pattern, stitching down the straight lines twice to make them stand out more. I removed the soluble fabric and the piece is now ready for the next stage.
I spent most of the evening processing photographs which My OH took on a late evening visit to Durham Cathedral with some of the members of his camera club. Unfortunately – yes you’ve guessed it – it rained and curtailed the trip. They did manage to take enough to put the better ones on the club web site.
Next week I am going to do a workshop and have a get together with fellow members of the Computer Textile Design Group. I have to decide what to take with me which I am finding very difficult. No matter what and how much I take it is almost certain I will need what I haven’t taken!!!! So to bed now.
Read Full Post »