The new desk arrived on Monday and I/we have been busy changing everything around in the workroom. In order to get the new desk in we had to get the sofa bed out. I remember it being a bit of a nightmare getting it in many years ago so knew it wasn’t going to be an easy job getting it out again. It wasn’t. It was very heavy and we are not as young as we were when we struggled to get it in there. As we edged it to the door we realised that the door had to come off. Then we had to empty and dismantle shelves until finally we had it or should I say forced it through the door and into the hall.
The new desk was put together and installed in the room with the new comfy chair. Everything which had come out of the room to make way for the sofa coming out had to be then taken back in and many hours later the room was finished. Lots more work surfaces and I have been able to bring things stored in other parts of the house down into the workroom. We also found a new home for the sofa bed and with the help of a friend and his van delivered it that evening. Job done. Very pleased.
The room is ready to use BUT as the weather was so much nicer today, I worked in the conservatory instead on the acetate prints.
Which brings me to the two latest pieces. They are not going quite as I envisaged. When I printed them, I had a problem with the ink in the printer in spite of all the prep. To cut a long story short – I finished up printing over the top of the first print and the ink took ages to finally dry. The yellow had still faded so I painted over the top of the yellow Nefertiti with gold acrylic paint. At this stage it looked redeemable. I cut up the image into nine pieces and edged them all using embroidery thread and buttonhole stitch. I wanted to do machine faggoting so I put soluble underneath to bridge the gaps and machined the pieces back together. I had tested a piece of printed acetate to see if it was OK to rinse and it was – for a single print. I had made a double print and when I rinsed the soluble away the ink of the second print ran.
The gold acrylic paint didn’t of course. So now I am trying to decide whether to continue and try to make something of it or see if all the ink will wash away and re-use them. Trying not to waste all that thread and time hand stitching. I did manage to do the rest of the machine faggoting hand held so there was no need for the soluble after all. Wish I had tried that first. Lesson learned.
The second piece is a SINGLE print – larger than the first one. Once printed I cut it up into nine pieces as before. This is to be a mobile. I used the sewing machine to put evenly spaced holes along the edges then edged the pieces varying the stitching to give three different borders. I am now in the process of laying lines of pattern and beading over the surface using a fine metallic thread. This is just the pattern stage.
When all the pieces are complete they will be joined together probably in this arrangement.
Back to finishing the mobile. Bye for now.